Monday, April 4, 2011

Hello again....thoughts on Flickr

I have taken a loooooong hiatus from the 23 Things project - but I am dedicating this week to catching up! Flickr is a super-cool application. For some reason, I have not used it much (probably because I still like to kick it old-school every so often and order actual prints of pictures and sites like Snapfish make it easy to do that). I have used Flickr to upload pictures of some of my hand-knitted items to a site called Ravelry (a social network for knitters).

The World Map search is neato. I did a search for pictures taken in Utica, IN which is where I live. It's a small dead-end town that gets little traffic except for city folks coming out to explore Bob Hill's Hidden Hill Nursery. So, I wasn't surprised to find most of the pictures were taken there. But, there were a few of the Hillcrest Cemetary in Utica. It's a small, but interesting cemetery. I've even found the grave markers of the gentleman who built our house nearly 200 years ago.

In my line of work as a children's librarian, I have not had many kids wanting to upload photos to sites like Flickr. A lot of their photosharing is done via sites like Facebook. I think a lot of kids and teens, keep most of their photos saved on their phones and don't even think about putting them in a more permanent place. The World Map search feature though could be cool to show kids who are working on research projects about other countries or states. The Google image search seems to be the first place they look, but I can see now how Flickr could be used similarly.

No comments:

Post a Comment